- oil - 3 tbsp
- garlic ginger paste (or fresh) - 1.5 tbsp
- dried fried onion (or fresh) - 1/4 cup
- coriander powder - 1 tbsp
- cumin powder - 1 tbsp
- tumeric powder - 2 tsp
- red pepper powder - 1 tsp
- salt - 2 tsp
- tomato sauce - 1/3 cup
- chopped spinach (thawed, drained) - 1 lb
- cooked chopped kale (optional) - 1/4 lb
- water - 1/2 cup
heat large pot with oil on medium-high heat.
add in garlic, ginger, and all spices except salt. cook and mix, around 2-3 minutes. add tomato sauce and cook for another 2 minutes. add salt, spinach, kale, and water. cover and cook on medium-low for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. reduce heat if it is sticking.
add 1-2 extra tablespoons of tomato sauce if desired. optionally blend with hand blender. optionally, add cooked potatoes or fried paneer. cook, uncovered, on medium-high while continuously stirring for 5-10 minutes, until desired level of liquid is reached, most of the water should evaporate.
original recipe from mom