<pumpkin stuffed with everything good>
- sugar pumpkin - 1 (about 3 lb)
- 1/2 cubes stale bread - 1/4 lb
- 1/2 cubes cheese (gruyere, emmenthal, cheddar) - 1/4 lb
- minced garlic - 2-4 cloves
- chopped drained bacon - 4 strips
- chopped chives or scallions - 1/4 cup
- minced fresh thyme -1 tsp
- heavy cream - 1/3 cup
- fresh grated nutmeg - pinch
preheat oven to 350°
cut a hole in the top of the pumpkin. remove the cap and set aside. remove the seeds and strings from the inside of the pumpkin. season generously with salt and pepper and put it on a baking sheet or a pie pan.
toss the bread, cheese, garlic, bacon, and herbs together in a bowl. season with pepper and pack into the pumpkin. stir the cream with nutmeg and pour it into the pumpkin over the stuffing.
put the cap back on and bake the pumpkin for about 2 hours. the flesh should be tender and the stuffing should be bubbling. remove the cap for about the last 15 minutes of baking.
original recipe from [npr.org]